UNISON Southampton District Branch is looking for two part-time Administrative Assistants.
UNISON is Britain and Europe’s leading public sector trade union, with 1.3 million members working in the public services, private, voluntary and community sectors and in the energy services.
Location: UNISON office at Southampton Civic Centre, SO14 7LY
Starting salary: £13,893.50 per annum
Closing date: 27 August 2020
Hours: 2 posts, both 3 days per week (17.5 hours per week)
Contract type: Part time, permanent
Benefits: 28 days Annual Leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays; 25% employer pension contribution
About this job
Job Purpose: To provide a full range of administrative, clerical, secretarial and IT support to the Branch Secretary and Committee.
Reports to: Branch Secretary
Key tasks and responsibilities include:
- Provide administrative support for meetings including minute taking, drafting and word processing of agendas, minutes and standard letters.
- Support organising staff and branches in undertaking recruitment & organising activities.
- Arrange events, meetings and conferences.
- Contact with all levels of UNISON (National, Regional and Branch) staff.
- Contact with members and employers and a wide range of external organisations.
- Work with a range of communication media and database systems.
- Advising members of Union benefits/services.
- Handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Use a range of IT packages, including Microsoft packages, case management and membership systems.
- Operation of office machinery.
- Work as part of a team.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a CV and cover letter highlighting how you meet the relevant skills and experience in the person specification to UNISON Area Organiser: Julie Murdoch – firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be submitted by Thursday 27 August 2020
Interview date: Monday 21 September 2020
If you have an interest in and commitment to trade unionism and social justice, strong keyboard and IT skills along with experience of supporting people in a pressured office environment this could be the job for you!
You need to be educated to GCSE grade C or equivalent in literacy and numeracy, with an NVQ2 in administration (or be able to demonstrate equivalent knowledge and experience in delivering an efficient administrative service).
UNISON is an equal opportunities employer, committed to providing equal opportunities regardless of race, marital status, gender, sexuality, disablement or age. This Person Specification is designed to help members of interviewing panels judge the qualities of the interviewees in a systematic and consistent way and in accordance with UNISON’s equal opportunities policy.
- Ability to provide comprehensive administrative support at all levels.
- Accurate and precise data handling skills.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook.
- Ability to draft correspondence and other documentation. Experience of drafting agendas and recording and drafting minutes of meetings.
Communication / Co-ordination
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of individuals at all levels and using a range of methods including face to face, telephone and email. Including experience of dealing with angry or upset clients both in person and by telephone.
- Ability to work on own initiative and also as a team member, providing support to the team as and when necessary.
- Ability to work with sensitive material in a confidential manner.
Specialist / Technical
- Ability to devise and maintain effective information retrieval systems.
- Experience of using database systems.
- Experience of operating office machinery.
- Ability to prioritise own work.
- An ability to work effectively under pressure and to demonstrate effective self- organisation skills.
- Able to use own initiative and to work without continuous instruction.
- General knowledge and commitment to the Trade Union Movement.
UNISON is the UK’s leading public services trade union, with over 1.3 million members working in the public sector, private, voluntary and community sectors and in the energy services. We employ approximately 1,200 staff, with around 370 at our national centre in Euston in central London and the remainder in our 12 regions across the UK, including Northern Ireland.
UNISON is a dynamic, progressive union, committed to equality. We encourage men and women of all ages, Black and minority ethnic groups, disabled people, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to work with us.